Kit, Liberty Belle

Welcome to Belladventures!

Hello Gals!!

Well, I can't believe that I have entered the blogosphere!! However, in this day, it seems that computers are how we stay connected. I started this project because I want to get the word out about the outings that I have been instigating. My goal with this blog is to bring women of all ages and skill levels together for fun and camaraderie.

I have worked in the guiding world since 1995, first climbed Rainier at 17 (I have since climbed 70+ times-lost count), and am one of very few females-heck, very few peoples... to attain AMGA ski mountaineering guide certification. I have also just been granted ACMG equivalency as a full ski guide in Canada-first ever! Well, this means that there is a LOT of powder in my future:)- and lots in yours if you choose to ski with me! I note these milestones here, not so much to toot my own horn, but to express my dedication to serious fun!

What have I learned from these miles in the field? I have learned that the mountains are incredible teachers (just when you think you are the queen of the world, you step on a banana peel!) I have learned that the best times in my life have stemmed from the camaraderie I have experienced in these settings. I have learned that my favorite people tend to be the ones I meet in the outdoors, and the relationships I cultivate there are some of the most meaningful.

Why not jump in? The outdoors are beautiful AND you get tons of fresh air and exercise- what could be better!


There just aren't that many all-girl trips out there and I must admit, well -the dynamic is different. The idea is to provide quality instruction and skill building- so you can confidently recreate with whomever you choose- male or female.

Stay tuned for a schedule of ski touring, rock climbing, yoga posing shenannigans.....

Hope you can join me! Ciao Bellas!



Thursday, March 18, 2010

snowpack summary in revelstoke

The surface hoar war,
face down the bright white places--
Fifteen degrees best.

The recent avalanche accident on Boulder Mountain near the town of Revelstoke has drawn international attention to this year’s snowpack stratigraphy in the Selkirks and Monashees. The Canadian Avalanche Center has issued special warnings regarding avalanche danger for the last three weekends.

The El Nino climactic conditions have set the stage for one of the more volatile layering structures in many people’s memory The combination of higher temps with warmer snow events interspersed with long periods of clear weather have laid down a series of significant buried surface hoar layers. Surface hoar is that beautiful sparkly crystal that forms on the snow surface following cold clear nights(different from depth hoar). If it gets buried it can create an unstable layer in the pack. As of this writing there are four main interfaces which have been named based on the day they were buried. The March 7th, The February 24th, the February 8th and the January 24th. These layers can all be found within about a meter and a half of the snows surface and as such are very reactive to skier triggering. Generally this structure is widespread throughout the treeline and alpine elevations with North through East aspects being the most sensitive. Solar aspects have a series of crusts at the same interfaces and have been waking up as radiation intensifies.

The most recent storm event on March 11th-and 12th came in with significant wind and precipitation increasing load and forming slabs over the existing surface hoar sandwich(actually more like a multi layer torte). The result has been a widespread avalanche cycle with slides initiating on layers closer to the surface and stepping down to deeper layers. This was the set up for the Boulder Mountain accident.

The take home message here is that it is not the time to get complacent if you choose to venture out. Numerous natural, human triggered, and remotely triggered(means you can trigger an adjacent steep slope from low angle terrain – sometimes from quite a distance- and sometimes from below…) avalanches are being reported daily throughout the range. Guiding operations are sticking to terrain that has been heavily skied all winter and to very low angle low consequence terrain with no overhead hazard.

This is a great time to hone your avalanche skills. Instead of focusing on skiing the big line, dig a pit in a safe location and see if you can id all the layers. You will be impressed! For current avalanche bulletins, go to www.avalanche.ca. For field reports from certified guides check out the public mountain conditions report or MCR at www.acmg.ca.